Are you planning to come to Canada but unsure about what type of work permit to apply for? An open work permit gives you the freedom to work for any employer in Canada without first having a job offer. It’s a great option for those who want to explore their career opportunities without being tied down to a specific employer. In this article, we will explain what an open work permit is and how to apply for one.
What is an Open Work Permit?
An Open Work Permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada without restrictions. Unlike employer-specific work permits, you don’t need a job offer to apply for an open work permit. This makes it a popular option for those who are already in Canada as visitors, students or temporary residents and want to work for multiple employers. It’s also a great option for those who are seeking PR status and need work experience in Canada to be eligible.
Who is eligible for an Open Work Permit?
There are several categories of persons who are eligible to apply for an open work permit. These include:
– Spouses or common-law partners of temporary residents or Canadian citizens who are sponsored under the spouse or common-law partner in-Canada class
– Dependent children of temporary residents or Canadian citizens
– International students who have completed their studies and now have a Post-Graduate Work Permit
– Students who are on approved leaves of absence due to medical reasons, pregnancy, parental or other similar circumstances
– Refugee claimants
– Protected persons
– Temporary residents who are being considered for permanent residence
– Other categories as specified by IRCC
How to Apply for an Open Work Permit?
You can apply for an open work permit online or by paper application (if you are in Canada). Before applying, ensure you have the following documents:
– Valid passport or travel document
– Evidence of eligibility (depending on your category)
– Proof of financial support
– Immigration medical exam (if required)
– Police certificates (if required)
– Fees ($155 for online application and $255 for paper application)
It’s important to note that the processing time for open work permits varies depending on the immigration office processing your application. Therefore, it’s advisable to submit your application as soon as possible to avoid any delays.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Work Permits
One of the biggest advantages of an open work permit is the flexibility it offers. You have the freedom to work for any employer in Canada and even change jobs without having to apply for a new work permit. Another advantage is that an open work permit can give you the necessary Canadian work experience to qualify for PR status. However, it’s important to note that not all jobs are eligible for an open work permit. Certain jobs such as those in the sex industry, and those that pose a risk to national security are not eligible for an open work permit.
An open work permit can be an excellent option for those seeking work opportunities in Canada. If you are eligible and considering applying for an open work permit, ensure you have the necessary documents and carefully follow the application process. Remember that an open work permit gives you the freedom to work in any job or for any employer in Canada, but not all jobs are eligible. With these things in mind, you can take advantage of the opportunities an open work permit offers and make the most of your time in Canada.